Trial Classes – what to expect.
Interested in trying out karate at OKKA – Mullica Hill. We make it easy. You do not need to schedule your trial class, but most parents have questions and call to ensure they are coming to the right class at the right time. There is no cost or obligation to attend a trial class. It is a great way to see if your child is ready to start karate.
Why do a trial?
Trial classes and a short trial membership are the best way to determine if you child is ready for karate and if your family’s schedule allows for participation.
Karate is a year round sport – there is no “season” for karate, however we have many students that do multiple sports while in karate. We have 6, 9, 10, and 12 month memberships designed to meet the needs of our families.
What is a free trial class like?
A free trial class is an actual class with real students and teaches our on-going curriculum. Prospective students experience the classes as they are most days of the year.
You will be greeted at the door, your child will be asked to remove his/her shoes and socks, and then “bowed” into the dojo. Often, they will be teamed up with an existing student, who will be their buddy and show them the warm up exercises. If a buddy is not available, one of our instructors will be the buddy.
At the start of class, you child is assigned a “Dot” on our floor and that is their home base for the class. Once we have warmed up, we teach our curriculum components, do announcements, and bow out the class. (Dragons class is 25-30 minutes, and Basics class is 35 minutes).
What do I do to get ready?
- Check our schedule for the best day of the week to bring your child in.
- Have your child wear comfortable play/exercise clothes. They will be moving around and probably getting a little sweaty. We are a shoes and socks off program – so bear feet!
- Come about 15 minutes before the start of class, there is some paperwork to sign and we can answer any additional questions you might have.
- Parents can sit in one of two parent galleries and watch class. You are welcome to escort your future little dragon out on the floor if they are shy. You are welcome to join your older child on the floor for a trial class of your own. (We are a family oriented karate program).
- When class is over, your child will put their socks and shoes on and we will be happy provide feedback on how they did and to answer any additional questions you may have.
What happens after class?
You can let us know then if you would like to sign up for the 6 week trial membership or if you would like to speak to you child and make a decision together. There is no hard sell – no “discount if you sign up today” approach. We want a happy and engaged student body!
If you child was shy or tentative, you may request to come to additional trial classes before making any decision. For some students, it takes a bit of time to warm up to the prospect and feel comfortable out on the floor.
Do I have to sign up for the 6 week trial first?
Yes. The 6 week trial membership is required for any family new to our dojo. The trial membership helps ensure that you child will not lose interest after the initial excitement and that your family schedule can accommodate twice a week classes.